09.17.2020 - Student Caregivers During the Pandemic(link is external)(link is external)
09.17.2020 - Social Class Differences in Students’ Experiences during the COVID-19 Pandemic(link is external)(link is external)
08.28.2020 Undergraduate, Graduate, and Professional Students’ Food Insecurity During the COVID-19 Pandemic(link is external)(link is external)
08.18.2020 Undergraduate and Graduate Students’ Mental Health During the COVID-19 Pandemic(link is external)(link is external)
08.10.2020 First-Generation Students’ Experiences During the COVID-19 Pandemic(link is external)(link is external)
07.08.2020 The Obstacles to Remote Learning for Undergraduate, Graduate, and Professional Students(link is external)(link is external)
07.01.2020 International Students’ Experiences and Concerns During the Pandemic(link is external)(link is external)
06.26.2020 Adapting to Online Instruction: Disparities Among Graduate and Professional Students(link is external)(link is external)
06.26.2020 Graduate and Professional Students' Financial Hardships(link is external)(link is external)
06.26.2020 Graduate and Professional Students’ Fall 2020 Re-Enrollment Plans(link is external)(link is external)
06.17.2020 Will Students Come Back? Undergraduate Students’ Plans to Re-Enroll in Fall 2020
CURRENT LIST OF SERU RELATED PUBLICATIONS
- “Pathways for Improving Doctoral Education: Using Data in the Pre- and Post-COVID Era,” John Aubrey Douglass and Igor Chirikov, in S. Serger Schwaag, A. Malmberg, M. Benner, Renewal of Higher Education: Academic Leadership in Times of Transformation, Sweden Project for Collaboration, Academic Leadership & Innovation in Higher Education, May 2021.
- The role of the first-year experience in student attrition(link is external) by Irina Shcheglova, Elena Gorbunova and Igor Chirikov. Quality in Higher Education. September 2020.
- Tuition as a Path for Affordability? The Pursuit of a Progressive Tuition Model at the University of California by John Aubrey Douglass, Patrick A. Lapid. California Journal of Politics and Policy. Vol 10, No. 1. January 2018.
- A Diagnostic Mechanism for Assessing Respondent Burden: Sensitive Item Nonresponse Bias in Student Surveys(link is external) by Victoria Porterfield(link is external), Marc D. Weiner(link is external), Paul C. Siracusa(link is external). Journal of Assessment and Institutional Effectiveness. Vol 6, No. 2. 2017. pp. 165-190.
- Fostering Global Competence Through Internationalization at American Research Universities by Irina Shcheglova, Gregg Thomson, and Martha C. Merrill. Research and Occasional Papers (ROPS). Center for Studies in Higher Education. CSHE 10.17. October 2017.
- Civic Engagement and Community Service at Research Universities Engaging Undergraduates for Social Justice, Social Change and Responsible Citizenship(link is external). Kista Soria, Tania Mitchell, and June Nobbe (Ed). Palgrave 2016.
- College Affordability and the Emergence of Progresssive Tuition Models: Are New Financial Aid Policies at Major Public Universities Working?. Patrick A. Lapid & John Aubrey Douglass CSHE 7.16. June 2016.
- Research University Spaces: The Multiple Purposes of an Undergraduate Education. Steven Brint 9.15. October 2015.
- The Liberal Arts and the University: Tracing the Origins and Structure of Undergraduate Education In the US and at the University Of California. Nicholas B. Dirks 7.15. June 2015.
- Academic Engagement, High Impact Practices, and Learning Outcomes and Comparisons With Other Institutions by Department(link is external) presented at 2014 AERA Annual Meeting by Yunhee Bae and Mark Troy – Texas A&M. April 2014. Michael J. Stebleton, Krista M. Soria, and Ronald L. Huesman Jr. Journal of College Counseling, 17:1, 6-20. April 2014.
- Recent Immigrant Students at Research Universities: The Relationship Between Campus Climate and Sense of Belonging(link is external). Michael J. Stebleton, Krista M. Soria, Ronald L. Huesman Jr., and Vasti Torres. Journal of College Student Development, 55:2, 196-202. March 2014.
- Undergraduate Research Engagement at Major US Research Universities. John A. Douglass and Chun-Mei Zhao CSHE.14.13. November 2013.
- Continuing the Conversation: The Profile of New UC Berkeley Undergraduates on Academic Probation(link is external). UC Berkeley Topic in Brief. July 2013.
- Comparisons Between 2012 & 2013 within TAMU High Impact Practices (HIP) for the Student Experience in the Research University Survey (SERU)(link is external). Yunhee Bae – Texas A&M. 2013.
- What are Students Telling Us?(link is external). SERU Briefings from the University of Iowa. 2013.
- Trends Toward Global Excellence in Undergraduate Education: Taking the Liberal Arts Experience into the 21st Century. Marijk van der Wende. CSHE 18.12. December 2012.
- Student-Faculty and Peer Interactions among Immigrant College Students in the United States(link is external). Michael J. Stebleton, Krista M. Soria, Marina B. Aleixo, and Ronald L. Huesman Jr. Multicultural Learning and Teaching, 7:2. December 2012.
- Portrait of the Disengaged. Steven Brint and Allison M. Cantwell. CSHE.9.12. June 2012.
- The University of Texas at Austin and the Research University Advantage(link is external). Casey Brown and Gale Stuart, SERU 2011 Data, Office of Assessment, Division of Student Affairs. May 2012.
- Finance and Financial Stressors in the Undergraduate Experience at UT Austin(link is external). Gale Stuart and Alyssa D. Kaye, SERU 2011 Data, Office of Assessment, Division of Student Affairs. May 2012.
- Indicators of Student Wellness at UT Austin(link is external). Alyssa D. Kaye and Gale Stuart, SERU 2011 Data, Office of Assessment, Division of Student Affairs. May 2012.
- The International Student Diversity Effect: A Profile of a Global Movement of Talent at a Group of Major U.S. Universities(link is external). Chun-Mei Zhao and John Aubrey Douglass, Higher Education Forum, Vol. 9, pp. 29-44. March 2012.
- Searching for the Holy Grail of Learning Outcomes. John Aubrey Douglass, Gregg Thomson, and Chun-Mei Zhao. CSHE.3.12. February 2012.
- The Learning Outcomes Race: the Value of Self-Reported Gains in Large Research Universities(link is external). John Aubrey Douglass, Gregg Thomson and Chun-Mei Zhao, Higher Education. February 2012.
- Poor and Rich: Student Economic Stratification and Academic Performance in a Public Research University System(link is external). John Aubrey Douglass and Gregg Thomson, Higher Education Quarterly. January 2012.
- 2012 Annual Accountability Report(link is external). UC Office of the President Institutional Research Unit.
- The Use of UCUES Data in Planning and Assessment of Undergraduate Advising(link is external). UC Berkeley - Office of Planning and Analysis. 2012.
- Who Leaves UC Santa Cruz and When? Retention and Graduation Among Freshmen Cohorts(link is external). Julian L. Fernald - UC Santa Cruz. December 2011.
- Factor Structure and Reliability of the 2011 SERU/UCUES Questionnaire Core. Steve Chatman. SERU Project Technical Report. November 2011.
- No Evidence of Substantive Nonresponse Bias for the 2011 Administration. Steve Chatman. SERU Project Technical Report. November 2011.
- Best Practices When Using Student Survey Results in Academic Program Review. Steve Chatman. SERU Project Technical Report. October 2011.
- Wealth, Cost and the Undergraduate Student Experience at Large Public Research Universities. Steve Chatman. CSHE.13.11. October 2011.
- Diversity Matters: New Directions for Institutional Research on Undergraduate Racial/Ethnic and Economic Diversity. Gregg Thomson. CSHE 8.1. May 2011.
- Academic Disciplines and the Undergraduate Experience: Rethinking Bok's "Underachieving Colleges" Thesis. Steven Brint and Allison M. Cantwell. CSHE.6.11. March 2011.
- The Immigrant's University: A Study of Academic Performance and the Experiences of Recent Immigrant Groups at the University of California(link is external). John Aubrey Douglass and Gregg Thomson. Higher Education Policy 23, 451-474. December 2010.
- DO I BELONG HERE? Exploring Immigrant College Student Responses on the SERU Survey Sense of Belonging/Satisfaction Factor. Michael J. Stebleton, Ronald L. Huesman, Jr., Aliya Kuzhabekova.
- Annual Accountability Sub-Report on Diversity (Revised)(link is external). UC Office of the President. September 2010.
- Engaged Learning in a Public University: Trends in the Undergraduate Experience. Report on the Results of the 2008 University of California Undergraduate Experience Survey. Steven Brint, John Aubrey Douglass, Gregg Thomson, and Steve Chatman. CSHE.2.10. February 2010.
- Factor Structure And Reliability Of The 2008 And 2009 SERU/UCUES Questionnaire Core. Steve Chatman. SERU Project Technical Report. October 2009.
- Measures of Nonresponse Bias Associated with the 2008 Administration of the University of California Undergraduate Experience Survey. Steve Chatman. SERU Project Technical Report. June 2009.
- Recognizing and then Using Disciplinary Patterns of the Undergraduate Experience: Getting Past Institutional Standards. Steve Chatman. CSHE.6.2009. May 2009.
- Decoding Learning Gains: Measuring Outcomes and the Pivotal Role of the Major and Student Backgrounds. Gregg Thomson and John Aubrey Douglass. CSHE.5.2009. May 2009.
- Transfer Student Experiences and Success at Berkeley. Sereeta Alexander, Debbie Ellis, and Rodolfo Mendoza-Denton. CSHE.24.2009. March 2009.
- Ethical Decision-Making in College: Choosing Between Right, Wrong, and the Space in Between. Fanny P.F. Yeung and Jennifer R. Keup. CSHE.23.2009. March 2009.
- The "Turning Point" for Minority Pre-Meds: The Effect of Early Undergraduate Experience in the Sciences on Aspirations to Enter Medical School of Minority Students at UC Berkeley and Stanford University. Donald A. Barr and John Matsui. CSHE.20.2008. November 2008.
- Undergraduate Research Participation at the University of California, Berkeley. Elizabeth Berkes. CSHE.17.2008. November 2008.
- The Influence of Wealth and Race in Four-Year College Attendance. Su Jin Jez. CSHE.18.2008. November 2008.
- The Poor and the Rich: A Look at Economic Stratification and Academic Performance Among Undergraduate Students in the United States. John Aubrey Douglass and Gregg Thomson. CSHE.15.2008. October 2008.
- Undergraduate Time Use and Academic Outcomes: Results from UCUES 2006. Steven Brint and Allison M. Cantwell. CSHE.14.2008. October 2008.
- Conference Papers from 2007 Symposium: Assessing the Undergraduate Experience in the Postmodern University
- Does Diversity Matter in the Education Process? An Exploration of Student Interactions by Wealth, Religion, Politics, Race, Ethnicity and Immigrant Status at the University of California. Steven Chatman. CSHE.3.5.2008. March 2008.
- Two Cultures: Undergraduate Academic Engagement. Steven Brint, Allison M. Cantwell and Robert A. Hannerman. CSHE.4.08. March 2008.
- The Immigrant University: Assessing the Dynamics of Race, Major and Socioeconomic Characteristics at the University of California. John Aubrey Douglass, Heinke Roebken, and Gregg Thomson. CSHE.19.07. November 2007.
- From Diversity to Educational Equity: A Discussion of Academic Integration and Issues Facing Underprepared UCSC Students. Holly Gritsch de Cordova and Charis Herzon. CSHE.16.07. November 2007.
- Different Patterns of Student-Faculty Interaction In Research Universities: An Analysis by Student Gender, Race, SES, and First-Generation Status. Young K. Kim and Linda J. Sax. CSHE.10.07. August 2007.
- 2007 General Report: A New Generation: Ethnicity, Socioeconomic Status, Immigration and the Undergraduate Experience at the University of California. Steve Brint, John Aubrey Douglass, Richard Flacks, Gregg Thomson and Steve Chatman. CSHE.14.07. September 2007.
- Institutional Versus Academic Discipline Measures of Student Experience: A Matter of Relative Validity. Steve Chatman. CSHE.8.07. May 2007.
- Multiple Goals, Satisfaction, and Achievement in University Undergraduate Education: A Student Experience in the Research University (SERU) Project Research Paper. Heinke Roebken. CSHE.2.07. February 2007.
- A Common Factor Solution for UCUES 2006 Upper Division Core Items. Steve Chatman, SERU/UCUES Project Director.
- Overview of UCUES Response Rates and Bias Issues. Steve Chatman, SERU/UCUES Project Director.
- Promoting Civic Engagement at the University of California: Recommendations from the Strategy Group on Civic and Academic Engagement. Jodi Anderson, John Aubrey Douglass, et al. CSHE.2.06. December 2005.
- Civic and Academic Engagement in the Multiversity: Institutional Trends and Initiatives at the University of California. Proceedings of a University of California Symposium held June 10, 2005. CSHE.2.06. December 2005.
- 2004 General Report: Learning And Academic Engagement In The Multiversity-Results Of The First University Of California Undergraduate Experience Survey. Richard Flacks, Gregg Thompson, John Douglass, and Kyra Caspary. CSHE.3.04. June 2004.